Notes (see http://slido.com for interactive conference backchannel #edutechasia):
- Check out Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) Singapore: https://www2.imda.gov.sg/
- Google Education Platform includes: GSuite for Education, Google Classroom, CS First, Chromebook, Google Cloud Platform, Google Programs
- Google education tools now starting to include AI for assessment and marking
- Google have used Machine Learning and AI to provide tutoring with emotional engagement and significantly improve learning outcomes (SARA)
- Google Unizin – uses anonymised data from 25 universities to identify students who are at risk of failure.
- Abu breast cancer early detection inspiring high school video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdFdOmWPav0
- Benefits of XR: boosts interest/engagement, provides visualisations for physical environments, may improve knowledge retention
Pasi Sahlberg – The new digital divide
- Pasi Sahlberg presents that in the last ten years we have seen a reduction in wellbeing due to anxiet,y depression, social challenges, behavioural disorders, addictions, suicidal behaviours inadequate sleep. At the same time increase in screen time.
- Pasi is doing “Growing up Digital Australia” report to mirror the the Growing up Digital Alberta study.
- Lower income children spend 8+ hours on screens while children from higher income families spend 6+
- Is it that higher income families get more human interaction as part of their parenting?
- Pew research centre shows that lower income households are likely to be impacted by the digital hopework gap (have to do their homework on a cellphone).
- Three things that we need to do with children:
- 1. Learn self-control
- 2. Sleep better (Pasi wears a sleep ring!)
- 3. Play more outdoors – at least one hour